Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Joy of Maps



     We left you after making several copies of a simple map of your annual garden. The maps are nothing but measurements now, but it is time to fill in the blanks -- by drawing in your plants long before you plant them.

     I like to plant annuals close together to discourage weeds, but I also need to get at my plants to prune them and pull the weeds that do show up -- without becoming a contortionist. I use the map to figure out a way I can move around in the bed. Then I look up the maximum height and spread of my plants. Not paying attention to how big your plants will grow is right up there with not paying attention to the sun when it comes to popular boo-boo's.


These plants grew a bit more than expected.


      With the pathways set and the plant spread known, I can now figure out how many annuals I can plant, and draw them in (just circles -- nothing fancy here). I write on the map the variety I am going to use as well. Now is a good time to find out if any of your annuals need stakes or cages and add them to your shopping list.

     If I am going to plant from seeds, I can dig out a seed catalog as well and even place an order. Half the battle can be won while there is still snow on the ground.

      If at planting time I realize I have made a mistake or changed my mind, that is what the extra blanks are for. I will want, however, to end up with a final accurate map. You will find out why next time.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment